Dear Boys: A Penis Primer
There are a few things I think you ought to know about the penis. You know, the dangly appendage that occupies your thoughts and/or your hands for a large percentage of the day? As a concerned mother, I feel it's my duty to enlighten you.
Now, never having been in possession of one myself, I can't be considered an outright expert ... but I'd like to think that my experience raising sons counts for something. After all, I've seen enough nakedness around this piece to rival any nude resort. And in that time, Boys, I've learned a few things about the male anatomy that I'd like to share - bullet-pointed for quick reference and easy memorization. *hint hint*
- Relax ... it isn't going anywhere. It will stay right there in your pants (provided you're wearing any), so you can stop clutching it while you watch TV and falling asleep with it in your fingers. In fact, it will be with you for the rest of your life, so maybe you should think about being a little less rough with it.
- One exception: having a firm grip on it is encouraged - and preferred - when using the toilet. It's floppy, and when you don't have it under control, you spray like a leaky hose.
- Keep it in your drawers, mmkay? (This is a piece of advice that will have a different, but equally significant, meaning during your teen years - so don't forget it.) There's really no need to lay it on your brother's arm. Or dip it in your chocolate milk. Or poke it through the hole of a DVD. Or wrap it around your eating utensils. Or your pencil. Or your brother's pencil.
- It might not hurt you when you stretch it out ten miles long like it's made of rubber, but it hurts me just looking at it, so stop.
- On rare occasions, you may actually let go of it in order to grasp something else. Like a sandwich, or your brother's face. In the event of such occasions, hand-washing before you touch anything else is the courteous (and sanitary) thing to do.
- It's not the end of the world when it's facing the wrong way or bunched up in your underwear. No need for a meltdown.
- It's handy and portable and all that, but just because you can pee anywhere doesn't mean you should.
- If you're gonna stretch/dangle/pull/twist/twiddle or otherwise manhandle (boy-handle?) it, please do so in your room and spare us all a little awkwardness. Please.
- I've seen it a million times, Boys, so there's no need to waggle it in my direction after your bath, nor make it dance and jump around by thrusting around like Elvis with a hula hoop. (This also goes for your dad, so pass that tidbit along.)
I'm hoping this letter will serve as a handy reference to the proper penile etiquette, and that you'll start having a little ding-dong dignity. You'll thank me later - or at least your wife will.
Lots of love,